The City & Human Soul
This course begins with a proposal, that life simultaneously occurs on three different levels; the outward (external stimuli), the inward (conscious), and the hidden (unconscious). Applying this method of making sense of the relationship between the self and events, students will undertake a journey which explores how the modern state and its corollary, the family, have imprinted on each human level of experience. It will paint a total picture of the modern sub-human condition at the end of an age.
We shall begin with the political realm (Outward- the birth and development of the modern state), its shaping of family dynamics (Inward) and end with the human unconscious (The Hidden), with a view that any sort of transformative action in the political zone requires the individual, first and foremost, to transform on a personal level.
Students will use three key movies and three key texts that correspond to each human level of experience. As a guide and when woven, will provide the student with a total picture of our reality.
This course offers individuals guidance on how to re-establish individual freedom, its reconciliation with authority and the path to a fresh future reality free from a doomed or tragic view of events and life.
- To re-introduce a classical method of making sense of events
- To understand the process of the unfolding of history
- To illustrate how the historical process is driven by the human psyche
- To understand the method of using history as a mirror to illuminate the present
- To understand how social change corresponds to family dynamics and vice versa
- To re-evaluate the Enlightenment narrative that is currently perpetuating the
- present socio-political status quo and it’s shaping of the psyche
- To understand that metamorphosis (societal and familial) begins with accessing the deepest self – the unconscious
Key movies and texts:
- Outward: ‘Snowden’ & ‘An Introduction to the Vindicai’
- Inward: ‘La Reine Margot’ & ‘Marlowe & New Augustan Phase’
- Hidden: ‘A Dangerous Method’ & ‘Oedipus & Dionysus’
Class Schedule & Top Ics
The Outward: the modern state & society
Analysis of the movie ‘Snowden’
Harold Laski and the rise of the modern state
The inward: state Imprinting on the family
Analysis of the movie ‘La Reine Margot’
family and self
The Hidden: family imprinting on the individual psyche
Analysis of the movie ‘A Dangerous Method’
‘Oedipus & Dionysus’ – seeing anew
Self transformation & the unconscious
Breaking the modern ‘society-family-individual’ cycle
Remaining sane in an insane world
All of our classes are delivered in real-time.
Please contact us for more information.
Zulfiqar Awan BA Hons, MA, PGCE
British lecturer, Zulfiqar Awan (BA Hons, MA, PGCE and Ph.D. candidate) has 15 years of teaching experience in the U.K and Cape Town, South Africa. Mr. Awan has also worked as an independent senior lecturer in philosophy, history, and politics on behalf of the British Government. He is the founder of Humanitas LifeLong Learning, where he teaches regular evening classes and short courses directly to the public, and online to an international audience. Mr Awan currently resides in Istanbul, Turkey.
A TEN HOUR ONLINE COURSE
1 HOUR WEEKLY